looking for dhtml sites
n***@gmail.com
2006-02-22 14:55:36 UTC
hey
i want to show in my work that dhtml can do it also. (vs flash)
i wish to find complicated dhtml sites, with interesting/great
navigation bars/mechanizm and design

i know its sounds alot to ask, im new here, but ill appriciate every
help wthat u will give me.

thank you
NeoSwf
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-02-22 15:03:52 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
hey
i want to show in my work that dhtml can do it also. (vs flash)
i wish to find complicated dhtml sites, with interesting/great
navigation bars/mechanizm and design
i know its sounds alot to ask, im new here, but ill appriciate every
help wthat u will give me.
thank you
NeoSwf
I'm confused, are you asking for links or are you asking someone to do
work for you for free?

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹

Hatter Quotes
-------------
"I'm not a professional, I'm an artist."

"The more I learn the more I'm killing my idols."

"Is it wrong to incur and then use the hate ridden, vengeful stupidity
of complete strangers in random Usenet froups to further my art?"

"Freedom is only a concept, like race it's merely a social construct
that doesn't really exist outside of your ability to convince others
of its relevancy."

"Next time slow up a lil, then maybe you won't jump the gun and start
creamin yer panties before it's time to pop the champagne proper."

"Reality is directly proportionate to how creative you are."

"People are pretty fucking high on themselves if they think that
they're just born with a soul. *snicker*...yeah, like they're just
givin em out for free."

"Quible, quible said the Hare. Quite a lot of quibling...everywhere.
So the Hare took a long stare and decided at best, to leave the rest,
to their merry little mess."

"There's a difference between 'bad' and 'so earth shatteringly
horrible it makes the angels scream in terror as they violently rip
their heads off, their blood spraying into the faces of a thousand
sweet innocent horrified children, who will forever have the terrible
images burned into their tiny little minds'."

"How sad that you're such a poor judge of style that you can't even
properly gauge the artistic worth of your own efforts."

"Those who record history are those who control history."

"Is my .sig delimiter broken? Really? You're sure? Awww,
gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Larry Linson
2006-02-22 22:16:37 UTC
You get confused very easily. The question was very clear. Read it again.
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-02-22 23:01:39 UTC
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:16:37 -0800, Larry Linson
Post by Larry Linson
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by n***@gmail.com
i wish to find complicated dhtml sites
I'm confused, are you asking for links or are you asking someone to do
work for you for free?
You get confused very easily.
Yeah being surrounded by stupid fucking morons will do that to an
intelligent person every time.
Post by Larry Linson
The question was very clear.
Sorry, but I don't speak Retardese.
Post by Larry Linson
Read it again.
You'll have to translate it into English first.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
ratdog
2006-02-23 11:45:29 UTC
OMH said,
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Yeah being surrounded by stupid fucking morons will do that to an
intelligent person every time.
I'm curious to know why you actually hang around in this news group?

By your own accounts, you are far smarter and more artistic than anyone else
here.
You also are not interested in dispensing your vastly superior knowledge.

So what's the point?
Is this like community service as a punishment for a crime?

Ratdog

"I'm not a professional, or an artist."
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-02-23 12:19:15 UTC
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:45:29 GMT, "ratdog"
Post by ratdog
OMH said,
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Yeah being surrounded by stupid fucking morons will do that to an
intelligent person every time.
I'm curious to know why you actually hang around in this news group?
Entertainment.
Post by ratdog
By your own accounts, you are far smarter and more artistic than anyone else
here.
You also are not interested in dispensing your vastly superior knowledge.
How would you know? Have you ever tried asking me something?
Post by ratdog
So what's the point?
"You don't have to have a point to have a point."
-Rock Man
Post by ratdog
Is this like community service as a punishment for a crime?
Yes, I anally raped your grandmother and I have to torment random
strangers on Usenet as entertai-er, I mean punishment.
Post by ratdog
"I'm not a professional, or an artist."
Wouldn't that make you an idiot?

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
SpaceGirl
2006-02-23 15:55:11 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:16:37 -0800, Larry Linson
Sorry, but I don't speak Retardese.
Could've fooled me... I thought that was all you spoke.

;)
Fred Doyle
2006-02-23 22:57:26 UTC
Post by SpaceGirl
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:16:37 -0800, Larry Linson
Sorry, but I don't speak Retardese.
Could've fooled me... I thought that was all you spoke
No, no, no. See, when it looks like Hatter is making a complete horse's ass
out of himself, that is really his Word Art. You just don't get it because
he hasn't finished evolving Usenet enough yet. He's a busy guy with all of
the forging and evolving of the whole Usenet that he has to do, so you can
only expect so much. Forge a little here. Evolve a little there. Create some
Word Art in between. Next thing you know this Usenet thing will be all
evolved up and people will be able to see he's bigger than just your normal,
plain old horse's ass. He's a Word Artist.

Maybe somebody will even pay for Word Art by then.
Fred Doyle
Larry Linson
2006-02-23 23:29:11 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by SpaceGirl
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:16:37 -0800, Larry Linson
Sorry, but I don't speak Retardese.
Could've fooled me... I thought that was all you spoke
No, no, no. See, when it looks like Hatter is making a complete horse's ass
out of himself, that is really his Word Art. You just don't get it because
he hasn't finished evolving Usenet enough yet. He's a busy guy with all of
the forging and evolving of the whole Usenet that he has to do, so you can
only expect so much. Forge a little here. Evolve a little there. Create some
Word Art in between. Next thing you know this Usenet thing will be all
evolved up and people will be able to see he's bigger than just your normal,
plain old horse's ass. He's a Word Artist.
Maybe somebody will even pay for Word Art by then.
It's all been done before... Remember "ArtistMike"?

":^) ®

Can you guess how much he cares about Hattie's "Word Art"?

  €º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø
                         The New 2005 List
    €ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€

                            Version 666.23
    Wednesday, December 7, 2005 2:15:57 PM

        --=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=--
                   Past Tributes to "Mike C."
http://www.artistmike.com/MC.Tribute/Tribute1.html
http://www.artistmike.com/MC.Tribute/Tribute2.html
http://www.artistmike.com/MC.Tribute/Tribute3.html

"I like Mike"
Slogan © The Doormouse 2004

lol... most people here just don't "get" you, Mike! :))

Janet

Uhoh...Ron just threw the door wide open to being
a MIke Christy Net Toy.

Brian Mays

Your toybox is brimming!

The Doormouse

[Mike] Are you the devil?

Brian Mays

Oh, now you've done it. You've invoked his name.

Emil Mroz

The one and only Mike C...

mezza

I'm a Mike (C.)olohic ... What about you???

Dave Moon

It's a sad man who actually TRIES to
get on the list...

Brian

Hi Mike, Isn't it about time for your annual
posting of newsgroup users comments
about you?  Absolutely one of the few things in
this group worth looking forward to.

Keith

Mike hasn't lost the plot,
he just rewrites it as he goes.

Emil Mroz

See, Mike writes his little messages of
independence and responsibility to people
like you... but most 'get' the exact opposite
message, and start jumping through that hoop.

You have spent most of your time here doing
cartoons...  Now you seem to need Mike for your
inspiration. Like Rubens needed women,
many of you need a Mike.

Joske

To understand the concept, you have to look
for past posts about MikeC's "game", which he
plays with his "net toys"... it's surreal...
like Mr Bean doing "The Matrix"...

"The Game"... it's actually a social thing...
a phenomenon only possible in the Virtual world.

Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio

BTW, I don't block Mike C -  because his posts
are always ... aimed incisively at the ego of the
for very long  - trading sentences and paragraphs
for his one liners - appear foolish.

Mike Russell

He has been doing this for a decade or more.
You'll even occasionally see people asking openly
where Mike C is, when he hasn't shown himself for
a while.  It's fair to say Mike C will be remembered
here far after you and I are gone.

Mike Russell

He {Mike} had a number of good ideas for dealing
with silly people, some of which I would pass along
to my son as he went through various stages of
growing up. For example, my kid never caved in to
peer pressure, because his response to silly
comments from others was "That's your opinion.
Can you guess the value that I place on it?"
It left the jerks standing there with jaws agape and
earned respect for my kid from both peers and
teachers.

Mike C. also would give people in the groups a hard
time if they tried to blame external factors for their
problems, rather than accepting responsibility for
their own actions. Granted, he did it obnoxiously
(imo), but he wasn't wrong.

... his direct way of seeing through all the silliness
turned out to be useful when trying to teach a kid
the importance of thinking for himself as opposed to
going along with the herd.

In case you wonder if my kid is now rude and
obnoxious, he's in fact quite the opposite. To this day,
my son and I joke about his being raised by the
"Artist Mike Method".

Gail

There actually is no Mike C.  He is a computer
program developed in 1983 as a class project
in artificial intelligence by a unnamed student
at MIT.  This now-antiquated software has taken
a life of it's own and has infected thousands of
Web servers around the world.   In 1996 a cult of
Mike C. fans attempted to further humanize the
hoax by designing a Web site,  creating  Mike's
bio and adding staged photos of cult members
in disguise.  The cult pre-paid the artistmike.com
hosting for 1001 years in 1999...

Dave Moon

I like Mike though, he is good at being an ass,
not just mental like the other trolls. He makes one
think a bit...  It would be not all that fun around here
without him

HillBilly Jack

Please stay on topic. This is a forum discussing
Artist Mike.

Brad H

Your frustration with this person Mike is quite
obvious (it is actually coming across as a
burning hatred that is eating you up).  It appears
you are losing a battle you appear to be fighting by
yourself.

I don't know this Mike person, nor do I care who
likes him and who doesn't.  His art work is well
done for the speciality it falls under in my opinion,
and looking at well done art is something I enjoy.

Linda N.

Mike C's a steamroller, and there appears to be no
shortage of people who want to recreate the end of
"A Fish Called Wanda" with him.

For those of you who cannot ignore him, perhaps
the following scoring system will help. If you use
more words than he does in your reply, chalk up a
point for Mike C.  If you use fewer words in your reply
than Mike C did in the previous post, chalk up a point
for yourself.

So far, in the several years that I've been following his
antics, Mike C has won every time, against anyone
who tangles with him.  No exceptions.

Now that I've explained the rules, there are no excuses.
Let's see a better quality of play here, people.
You can do it.

Mike Russell

€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø

"Think you have what it takes to be added?"

No.

OpinionMan (Drew)

Eat your heart out Brian. I got a frilly border and you didn't. 8^P

OpinionMan (Drew)

€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-02-24 09:04:05 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by SpaceGirl
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:16:37 -0800, Larry Linson
Sorry, but I don't speak Retardese.
Could've fooled me... I thought that was all you spoke
No, no, no. See, when it looks like Hatter is making a complete horse's ass
out of himself, that is really his Word Art. You just don't get it because
he hasn't finished evolving Usenet enough yet. He's a busy guy with all of
the forging and evolving of the whole Usenet that he has to do, so you can
only expect so much. Forge a little here. Evolve a little there. Create some
Word Art in between. Next thing you know this Usenet thing will be all
evolved up and people will be able to see he's bigger than just your normal,
plain old horse's ass. He's a Word Artist.
Maybe somebody will even pay for Word Art by then.
People paying money for words?! Like on paper and everything?! OMG
WTF THAT'S SO ABSURD IT KANTS TO NOT EVAR HAPPENS YO!

Your gawd Fred, you certainly have made an idiot of yourself this
time...I guess that's not really something new though.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Fred Doyle
2006-02-24 14:40:06 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
People paying money for words?! Like on paper and everything?! OMG
WTF THAT'S SO ABSURD IT KANTS TO NOT EVAR HAPPENS YO!
Oh! I see now! After you're all done evolving up the Usenet, you're going to
expand into print, like on paper and everything, and probably evolve that
too so that everyone will see the value in your Word Art and will pay you
for the stuff we are being treated with for free right now 'cuz we know you
when you're just starting all this evolving up stuff. You'll probably have
like book deals, and maybe a newspaper or magazine column about all of this
Word Art stuff we are getting free now. Cool!

Fred Doyle
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-02-28 12:09:37 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
People paying money for words?! Like on paper and everything?! OMG
WTF THAT'S SO ABSURD IT KANTS TO NOT EVAR HAPPENS YO!
Oh! I see now! After you're all done evolving up the Usenet, you're going to
expand into print, like on paper and everything, and probably evolve that
too so that everyone will see the value in your Word Art and will pay you
for the stuff we are being treated with for free right now 'cuz we know you
when you're just starting all this evolving up stuff. You'll probably have
like book deals, and maybe a newspaper or magazine column about all of this
Word Art stuff we are getting free now. Cool!
The world will have to forgive Freddy, it's raining stupid in his
"special" reality and the poor fool forgot to bring an umbrella.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Fred Doyle
2006-02-28 23:24:18 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
The world will have to forgive Freddy, it's raining stupid in his
"special" reality and the poor fool forgot to bring an umbrella.
I have to know; is that Word Art, like what people are going to pay you for
once you're done evolving up the Usenet and start getting paid for what you
do? Soon probably everybody will be typing "raining stupid" all around the
world 'cuz you just now evolved the Usenet that way, right here on ADG!
Then, someday they will have to pay you a little everytime they type it and
it will be your first paying Word Artwork! And we all got to watch you do
it! How do you think these things up?
Fred Doyle
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-06 10:01:13 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
The world will have to forgive Freddy, it's raining stupid in his
"special" reality and the poor fool forgot to bring an umbrella.
I have to know; is that Word Art,
Your mom is word art.
Post by Fred Doyle
like what people are going to pay you for
When are the people going to pay me?
Post by Fred Doyle
once you're done evolving up the Usenet
This is all according to your uber sekrat masterful plan, eh Freddy?
Post by Fred Doyle
and start getting paid for what you do?
I already get paid for what I do, don't you?
Post by Fred Doyle
Soon probably everybody will be typing "raining stupid" all around the
world 'cuz you just now evolved the Usenet that way, right here on ADG!
Actually I came up with that one quite some time ago, it's not as
popular as some of my other material though. The whole "stAUKer" bit
really took off though, I think I used that like twice and then
suddenly EVERYBODY was using it.

Keeristmas...Farfoos...I make up all sorts of different words and
phrases. Generally the idea is for people NOT to copy me though,
evo-boi, after all, if everyone was doing it, it wouldn't be *MY*
style, now would it?
Post by Fred Doyle
Then, someday they will have to pay you a little everytime they type it and
it will be your first paying Word Artwork!
Is that how things work in the Land of Stupid? Tell us, do you ride a
lil red trolley in order to get there? Does King Friday rule over
your land? Meow, meow, fucking moron Freddy?
Post by Fred Doyle
And we all got to watch you do it!
Whose this "we"? Did ADG elect you as Queen Idiot or something?
Post by Fred Doyle
How do you think these things up?
Apparently I inspire retards like you to come up with it all for me.
Oh hey, next time, don't cover your straw men in kerosene, it makes
them burn too easy.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Davide Montellanico
2006-03-06 10:42:33 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
How do you think these things up?
Apparently I inspire retards like you to come up with it all for me.
Oh hey, next time, don't cover your straw men in kerosene, it makes
them burn too easy.
BLAH BLAH BLAH you are the queen of BLAH BLAH BLAH

LOL
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-07 05:05:42 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
How do you think these things up?
Apparently I inspire retards like you to come up with it all for me.
Oh hey, next time, don't cover your straw men in kerosene, it makes
them burn too easy.
BLAH BLAH BLAH you are the queen of BLAH BLAH BLAH
LOL
Is Bob Saget writing your material these days or did you find some
kind of "Lame Ass Fucking Jokes For Dummies" book? Was it on Amazon?
Did ya get a "special" discount? Cause seriously d00d...you're just
ALL shades of SPECIAL! Fuck, yer a superstar!

SUPERSTAR!

`, )

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Fred Doyle
2006-03-07 16:28:35 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
When are the people going to pay me?
I'm sure your Mom and Dad are asking themselves that question, too.

Fred Doyle
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-02-24 09:01:45 UTC
On 23 Feb 2006 07:55:11 -0800, "SpaceGirl"
Post by SpaceGirl
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Sorry, but I don't speak Retardese.
Could've fooled me... I thought that was all you spoke.
;)
Did you have one those pull string Pee-Wee Herman dolls as a kid? I
bet I can guess which saying was your favorite!

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Zhagrasa
http://games.funnygames.nl/lemmings/
tomasio
2006-02-24 14:23:27 UTC
(off topic)

Just browsed through Mad Hatters Site (www.backwater.net). I know that
taste is a delicate thing to judge with but i.m.o. that guy has no or
at least very little design experience.

maybe he is lurking around here to learn something ;-)
--
kind regards,
tomasio
"describing an issue reveals the way to solve it"
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-02-26 12:36:28 UTC
Post by tomasio
(off topic)
Just browsed through Mad Hatters Site (www.backwater.net).
Uh, that's not my site, Downs.
Post by tomasio
I know that taste is a delicate thing to judge with but i.m.o. that guy has no or
at least very little design experience.
...what does personal taste have to do with design experience, you
fucking fruitloop, prepub. Personal taste is what philistine
fucktards like you use to grade the artistic merit of one's
efforts...where as REAL ARTISTS can judge a piece on VERY SPECIFIC
design points ranging from color scheme to form, flow, function,
navigation, content, etc, etc, etc.

Now then, Downs, if you wanna try and actually CRITIQUE my work, by
all means, have at it, but don't fucking kid yourself into thinking
your current reaching little attempts at online verbal retribution are
anything other than confused, poser based, shit smears from someone
who probably couldn't tell the difference between a tetradic and a
split complimentary color scheme.
Post by tomasio
maybe he is lurking around here to learn something ;-)
You should have just kept on lurking, my lil projectionist.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
f***@gmail.com
2006-02-28 15:49:54 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
where as REAL ARTISTS can judge a piece on VERY SPECIFIC
design points ranging from color scheme to form, flow, function,
navigation, content, etc, etc, etc.
Here's an honest critique for you:

1. Your kerning is way off on your "Backwater Productions" title.
Specifically, note the odd extra space between the"k" and the "w" in
"Backwater" and the "d" and "u" in "Productions." The spacing in
"Productions" is the biggest problem (makes it look like "Prod
uctions"). Some of the other letters are also a little too tightly
spaced (such as the "t" and the "e" in "Backwater").

2. Your navigation in the various sections (for example, the "Client
Sites" section) only contains forward arrows. If a visitor wants to go
back and see a previous design, they have to cycle through all the way
back around and hope they don't accidentally click too far. A backward
navigation button would improve usability of those sections
(particularly as you increase the amount of content).

3. Just a personal preference, but when first loading your page, there
is practically no content whatsoever. Visitors have to look at the
navigation to get an idea of what the site is about. An introductory
paragraph that gives a brief overview of who you are and what services
you offer would make the home page a little more useful IMO.

Just some thoughts...

-- Robert
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-06 10:01:16 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
where as REAL ARTISTS can judge a piece on VERY SPECIFIC
design points ranging from color scheme to form, flow, function,
navigation, content, etc, etc, etc.
1. Your kerning is way off on you<COCKSLAP>
Uh, NO IT'S NOT...for the eighteenth fucking time already. It's been
purposefully distorted to appear like it's under-fuckin-water...see,
it's not just a clever name.
2. Your navigation in the various sections (for example, the "Client
Sites" section) only contains forward arrows. If a visitor wants to go
back and see a previous design, they have to cycle through all the way
back around and hope they don't accidentally click too far. A backward
navigation button would improve usability of those sections
(particularly as you increase the amount of content).
Yes but I WANT people to cycle through them all, see it's the whole
"water" thing again. I mean you can't throw yer raft in the fuckin
water and then suddenly decide you wanna go back upstream...you just
gonna hang on and ride teh fuckin bitch out.
3. Just a personal preference, but when first loading your page, there
is practically no content whatsoever. Visitors have to look at the
navigation to get an idea of what the site is about. An introductory
paragraph that gives a brief overview of who you are and what services
you offer would make the home page a little more useful IMO.
I used to have that...I found it to be...lame, slightly cliche and
just generally annoying. *shrugs*

Personally I just fucking hate going to a site and they've got some
sort of like bullshit, canned message about how they've been serving
their imaginary online customers since the fuckin Hoover
administration or whatever...it's just tacky and has that whole
wannabe corp attitude.
Just some thoughts...
Let me know when you get some of your own. Honestly, if I wanted your
opinion I could just go watch Faux News and pretend that I was an
ultra liberal, tree hugging, haiku writing mother fucker.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
f***@gmail.com
2006-03-06 15:10:53 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Uh, NO IT'S NOT...for the eighteenth fucking time already. It's been
purposefully distorted to appear like it's under-fuckin-water...see,
it's not just a clever name.
I can understand your intent, except that it doesn't look anything like
being underwater. Not at all. Water doesn't just distort the
appearance of space between the letters, it also distorts the shape of
the letters.

Your comment makes it sound like people complain about the kerning a
lot. Could it be that if multiple different sources are all coming to
similar conclusions that it isn't a deficiency on our part, but perhaps
an unfinshed effect on yours? Nah, that can't be it, can it?

But hey, if that's your reasoning, so be it -- it's your...art. I'm
only trying to offer a helpful, non-rage filled critique (because you
claim that you seem to have a problem getting those).
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Yes but I WANT people to cycle through them all, see it's the whole
"water" thing again. I mean you can't throw yer raft in the fuckin
water and then suddenly decide you wanna go back upstream...you just
gonna hang on and ride teh fuckin bitch out.
That's fine if it's your intent. It does limit usability, though --
particularly as you add more content.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
I used to have that...I found it to be...lame, slightly cliche and
just generally annoying. *shrugs*
Personally I just fucking hate going to a site and they've got some
sort of like bullshit, canned message about how they've been serving
their imaginary online customers since the fuckin Hoover
administration or whatever...it's just tacky and has that whole
wannabe corp attitude.
That's your personal choice. Do you ever consider your designs from
the perspective of those who are not you? Maybe you just like to hop
on a site and start clickin' the navigation. Fine. You can ignore
whatever is written. Some people like to know what the point is of the
site their visiting.

You don't have to launch into some BS corporate-speak to accomplish
this. "Welcome to the Graphic Design portfolio of Backwater
Productions" is more than sufficient to get the point of the site
across, lacks the "been serving Backwater Production's imaginary
customers since the Hoover administration" message that you hate, and
infinitely more informative than what you currently have.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Let me know when you get some of your own. Honestly, if I wanted your
opinion I could just go watch Faux News and pretend that I was an
ultra liberal, tree hugging, haiku writing mother fucker.
Hey, this is the 'Net -- you have the power to not read opinions you
don't want. Instead, you chose to read AND respond. Your call, not
mine.

-- Robert
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-07 11:24:14 UTC
Post by f***@gmail.com
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Uh, NO IT'S NOT...for the eighteenth fucking time already. It's been
purposefully distorted to appear like it's under-fuckin-water...see,
it's not just a clever name.
I can understand your intent, except that it doesn't look anything like
being underwater. Not at all. Water doesn't just distort the
appearance of space between the letters, it also distorts the shape of
the letters.
Yeah except for the fact that the shape of the letters *IS*
distorted...DUM DUM DUM!

Granted I could distort it even more, but there is a line between
making it readable and not so much. Ultimately though the whole point
of your "critique" is rather nitpicky. I mean it's like you couldn't
come up with something truly viable to bitch about so you just started
molesting the most inane aspects imaginable. Surely you aren't *SO*
fucking stupid that you don't realize that to "fix" the kerning like
you THINK it should be...yeah, we're talkin about a 2 pixel
movement...I mean, come the fuck on, Junior, what the fuck kind of GOD
standard are you attempting to hold me to that you start itchin yer
pants over 2 fuckin pixels?
Post by f***@gmail.com
Your comment makes it sound like people complain about the kerning a
lot.
Only in this froup...and only when I start stabbing you in the head
with your artistic deficiencies. Why don't you put up some of YOUR
work, Kiddo? I'll show you a critique...you might not like it much,
but I certainly won't have to resort to throwing a tantrum over 2
fuckin pixels.
Post by f***@gmail.com
Could it be that if multiple different sources are all coming to
similar conclusions that it isn't a deficiency on our part, but perhaps
an unfinshed effect on yours? Nah, that can't be it, can it?
Actually it's more like one of you hapless sheeple started spazzin the
fuck out about it and then the rest of you meandering lil copycat
artists just started humpin the bandwagon. But perhaps it's just that
you retards share a GROUP BRAIN? Maybe you should tell the other
retards to give your half of the brain back?
Post by f***@gmail.com
But hey, if that's your reasoning, so be it -- it's your...art. I'm
only trying to offer a helpful, non-rage filled critique (because you
claim that you seem to have a problem getting those).
Sunshine, it has reached a point where you're getting all pissy and
indignant over two fucking pixels...the only possible thing that could
incur a "critique" like that is hate filled rage and anger...granted
you might be repressing it...but being unaware of the obvious doesn't
make you righteous, it just makes you a fucking idiot.
Post by f***@gmail.com
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Yes but I WANT people to cycle through them all, see it's the whole
"water" thing again. I mean you can't throw yer raft in the fuckin
water and then suddenly decide you wanna go back upstream...you just
gonna hang on and ride teh fuckin bitch out.
That's fine if it's your intent. It does limit usability, though --
particularly as you add more content.
Actually at this point if I added another client I would probably
remove one of the others. Ultimately my design wasn't meant to be a
complete archivical listing of every site I've ever done, just a
sampling of my work. The site itself is more for show than function,
I'm not really trying to "sell" anything through it so much. I
generally don't like to make art in order to "earn a living" like you
might be trying to do, I make art because *I* want to, because *I*
like it. Woah...what a stunning concept, huh?
Post by f***@gmail.com
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
I used to have that...I found it to be...lame, slightly cliche and
just generally annoying. *shrugs*
Personally I just fucking hate going to a site and they've got some
sort of like bullshit, canned message about how they've been serving
their imaginary online customers since the fuckin Hoover
administration or whatever...it's just tacky and has that whole
wannabe corp attitude.
That's your personal choice. Do you ever consider your designs from
the perspective of those who are not you?
Only if they're paying me.
Post by f***@gmail.com
Maybe you just like to hop
on a site and start clickin' the navigation. Fine. You can ignore
whatever is written. Some people like to know what the point is of the
site their visiting.
Yes well as I stated in another post, my site was not designed to be
picked up through some chuckle fuck search spaz. My site was designed
primarily as an extension of my business cards, which I give to people
IN PERSON and when I do that's when *I* explain IN PERSON the nature
of my business, what I have to offer, etc, etc.
Post by f***@gmail.com
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Let me know when you get some of your own. Honestly, if I wanted your
opinion I could just go watch Faux News and pretend that I was an
ultra liberal, tree hugging, haiku writing mother fucker.
Hey, this is the 'Net -- you have the power to not read opinions you
don't want. Instead, you chose to read AND respond. Your call, not
mine.
It's not really so much about you, Robert. I'm as much a word artist
as I am a graphic artist. You present yourself as a billboard for my
personal thoughts and opinions, YOUR opinions don't really have all
that much meaning outside of serving as the fuckin carriage return for
MY pointed remarks and witful reasoning.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
f***@gmail.com
2006-03-07 14:47:58 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
I mean, come the fuck on, Junior, what the fuck kind of GOD
standard are you attempting to hold me to that you start itchin yer
pants over 2 fuckin pixels?
I thought you considered yourself to be a Usenet God/immortal.
Shouldn't you be held up to God-like standards? ; )
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Only in this froup...and only when I start stabbing you in the head
with your artistic deficiencies. Why don't you put up some of YOUR
work, Kiddo? I'll show you a critique...you might not like it much,
but I certainly won't have to resort to throwing a tantrum over 2
fuckin pixels.
There are plenty of links to my work from previous posts if you care to
look for them. However, just so you can't claim I'm hiding something,
you can find examples of art at www.zuiun.com. Unfortunately, I don't
have any recent "art for art's sake" posted, so you're looking at a
snapshot from about 5 years ago and earlier. The unfortunate side
effect of work is that it leaves less time to do anything with more
recent art - like format it to put on the site.

As for graphic design, well, I'm sure you can find links to that, too,
if you really want.

As for "2 fuckin pixels," there are more critiques that could be given,
but they all get further and further into the realm of subjectivity --
which is all art is. There is no denying, however, that your current
"distortion" of the word "productions" makes it look like "Prod"
"uctions." I don't read it as 2 words, but I could easily see how
someone might. Someone with artistic talent should easily be able to
create a water-like distortion without compromising the potential
readability of the words.

So, my critiques weren't meant to challenge your validity as an artist,
but rather to point out potential usability issues. Two different
animals entirely.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Sunshine, it has reached a point where you're getting all pissy and
indignant over two fucking pixels...the only possible thing that could
incur a "critique" like that is hate filled rage and anger...granted
you might be repressing it...but being unaware of the obvious doesn't
make you righteous, it just makes you a fucking idiot.
So now you're able to read the intent behind a post? My, you are
funny, in a contradictory sort of way.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
The site itself is more for show than function,
I'm not really trying to "sell" anything through it so much. I
generally don't like to make art in order to "earn a living" like you
might be trying to do, I make art because *I* want to, because *I*
like it. Woah...what a stunning concept, huh?
I'm all for art for art's sake. That's why my preference is not to
combine the two -- I have a site for "art" and a site for work. I've
found that quite often, the work "art" is limiting in scope (I believe
you've mentioned as much in some of your previous posts, too), so I
keep them separate. The "artistic" needs of my clients are not the
same as mine (and I think we've all had clients for which putting the
word "artistic" in the same sentence as them is a stretch).

The reason I critique your site from an "outsider" perspective is
because that by putting client work and contact information, it comes
across as a "work" site -- therefore I'm critiquing from the usability
standpoint of outsiders.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Yes well as I stated in another post, my site was not designed to be
picked up through some chuckle fuck search spaz. My site was designed
primarily as an extension of my business cards, which I give to people
IN PERSON and when I do that's when *I* explain IN PERSON the nature
of my business, what I have to offer, etc, etc.
On the other hand, by making several hundred posts a week to Usenet,
you are influencing the indexing of your site and the likelyhood that
it will receive visitors who have not had a personal explanation from
you.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
It's not really so much about you, Robert. I'm as much a word artist
as I am a graphic artist. You present yourself as a billboard for my
personal thoughts and opinions, YOUR opinions don't really have all
that much meaning outside of serving as the fuckin carriage return for
MY pointed remarks and witful reasoning.
Clarification: My opinions may not have that much meaning to you. But
that's ok. Your posts are more for you than anyone else. Just as mine
are more for me. Let's not kid ourselves -- it's just an ego boost
that boils down to the high of seeing your posts online and seeing who
responds.

-- Robert
Fred Doyle
2006-03-01 12:44:49 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
...what does personal taste have to do with design experience, you
fucking fruitloop, prepub. Personal taste is what philistine
fucktards like you use to grade the artistic merit of one's
efforts...where as REAL ARTISTS can judge a piece on VERY SPECIFIC
design points ranging from color scheme to form, flow, function,
navigation, content, etc, etc, etc.
So, I can tell from this statement that you've never really sat through a
portfolio or work critique with a live group of artists in real life, now
have you?
Fred Doyle
Brian Mays
2006-03-01 16:48:01 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
So, I can tell from this statement that you've never really sat through a
portfolio or work critique with a live group of artists in real life, now
have you?
Or even better, a critique with a group of designers (different beast
than artists).
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-06 10:01:13 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
...what does personal taste have to do with design experience, you
fucking fruitloop, prepub. Personal taste is what philistine
fucktards like you use to grade the artistic merit of one's
efforts...where as REAL ARTISTS can judge a piece on VERY SPECIFIC
design points ranging from color scheme to form, flow, function,
navigation, content, etc, etc, etc.
So, I can tell from this statement that you've never really sat through a
portfolio or work critique with a live group of artists in real life, now
have you?
Several actually...they never have anything bad to say about my work
though. Normally in order to illicit any sort of meaningful critique
out of people I have to pretty much be a fucking asshole to them and
torment them into critiquing it out of hate filled rage and angst...of
course even then most of their critiques are pretty weak, nothing very
solid.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Larry Linson
2006-03-06 18:18:27 UTC
I have a fucking asshole
So what?
Fred Doyle
2006-03-07 12:01:30 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by Fred Doyle
So, I can tell from this statement that you've never really sat through a
portfolio or work critique with a live group of artists in real life, now
have you?
Several actually...they never have anything bad to say about my work
though. Normally in order to illicit any sort of meaningful critique
out of people I have to pretty much be a fucking asshole to them and
torment them into critiquing it out of hate filled rage and angst...of
course even then most of their critiques are pretty weak, nothing very
solid.
No. No you haven't, and it shows. You CAN be 100% certain of something
written on Usenet.

But it is fun to see that you need to justify yourself to me.
Fred Doyle
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-07 12:14:04 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Several actually...they never have anything bad to say about my work
though. Normally in order to illicit any sort of meaningful critique
out of people I have to pretty much be a fucking asshole to them and
torment them into critiquing it out of hate filled rage and angst...of
course even then most of their critiques are pretty weak, nothing very
solid.
No. No you haven't, and it shows.
Well why don't you just stomp up and down and throw a lil fit about
it, Freddyboi? While you're at it you can whine some more about how
the <strike>kerning</strike> 2 pixels worth of alignment is supposedly
off in my logo. ^_^
Post by Fred Doyle
You CAN be 100% certain of something
written on Usenet.
That you're retarded? Yeah...I suppose one could be certain of that.
I mean, even if you're only PRETENDING to be retarded, well, that very
act in and of itself WOULD BE retarded...so in either direction you're
just a short bus riding retard.
Post by Fred Doyle
But it is fun to see that you need to justify yourself to me.
Freddy, Freddy, Freddy...how do you think it reflects upon your very
limited intelligence and whining pleas for support when you start
trying to rip off word art material from ME of all people? I mean,
slap yerself uplong side yer fat, ugly, stupid head and try and
remember who it is yer replyin to, Cupcake.

Oh, just so ya know, I've already developed counter content to all of
my material, so if you can't be original you should at the very least
try not to be stupid about it.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Fred Doyle
2006-03-07 16:27:06 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Well why don't you just stomp up and down and throw a lil fit about
it, Freddyboi?
If projecting my reaction to you helps you feel a little better, I'm glad.
You need it.It's been a tough day online for the little demigood Word
Artist.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
While you're at it you can whine some more about how
the <strike>kerning</strike> 2 pixels worth of alignment is supposedly
off in my logo. ^_^
Huh? What are you talking about? You're losing track of what's going on here
guy. I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't even know what your
logo looks like, but again, if projectionis helping you feel better today,
I'm glad.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by Fred Doyle
But it is fun to see that you need to justify yourself to me.
Freddy, Freddy, Freddy...(the rest of a really stupid sililoquy)
And that you still need to justify what you wrote to me. What fun! Tell me
more, please! But really, don't delude yourself into thinking it matters to
me, ok? I mean I wouldn't want you to put all that work into something I'm
reading it. Your turn! Rant on, please!

Fred Doyle
Fred Doyle
2006-03-07 16:44:27 UTC
And by the way, I was right. You never have had your work or portfolio
critiqued, and it shows quite clearly. Are you self-aware enough to know
that?

Fred Doyle
SpaceGirl
2006-03-01 14:22:26 UTC
Post by tomasio
I know that taste is a delicate thing to judge with but i.m.o. that guy has no or
at least very little design experience.
...what does personal taste have to do with design experience, you
fucking fruitloop, prepub. Personal taste is what philistine
fucktards like you use to grade the artistic merit of one's
efforts...where as REAL ARTISTS can judge a piece on VERY SPECIFIC
design points ranging from color scheme to form, flow, function,
navigation, content, etc, etc, etc.
Harsh! Not how I'd have put it lol. But, frighteningly, I agree...
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Now then, Downs, if you wanna try and actually CRITIQUE my work, by
I will:

I do think his site is okay for a specific market. Kiddies or some sort
of dumbed-down DVD user interface. I really dont like the colours. They
look too vivid on my LCD display, and clash on my CRT display. None of
it looks very sharp. It feels very much like a DVD menu -- one of the
free run-of-the-mill ones you get free with cheap DVD menu building
software. I'm unsure what market or user group your site is targeted
at, as the design doesn't feel very "online" at all. As a menu design,
it's not very usable - the navigation sucks, but it does feel very
"solid". A lot of fancy designs feel like they make keel over and die
under the weight of scripts they run, and yours doesn't. Maybe it'd
work for a kiddies site (the presumed target?). The composition is very
basic, but again that's not always a problem.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
all means, have at it, but don't fucking kid yourself into thinking
your current reaching little attempts at online verbal retribution are
anything other than confused, poser based, shit smears from someone
who probably couldn't tell the difference between a tetradic and a
split complimentary color scheme.
Clearly you dont understand them either or you'd realise there is no
real "difference", it's just how they compliment each other and where
they sit within a related palette. None of which this site
demonstrates. You can't really compare one against the other - at
least, it's so vague to not matter.

I wasn't trying to have a dig, but I've tried should and that doesn't
work :)
Fred Doyle
2006-03-01 15:16:27 UTC
Post by SpaceGirl
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
...what does personal taste have to do with design experience, you
fucking fruitloop, prepub. Personal taste is what philistine
fucktards like you use to grade the artistic merit of one's
efforts...where as REAL ARTISTS can judge a piece on VERY SPECIFIC
design points ranging from color scheme to form, flow, function,
navigation, content, etc, etc, etc.
Harsh! Not how I'd have put it lol. But, frighteningly, I agree...
Interesting! I totally disagree. I've yet to be involved in any level of
artwork critique where personal taste and personal opinion didn't play an
important part.

So, let me point out what I mean
Post by SpaceGirl
I do think his site is okay for a specific market. Kiddies or some sort
of dumbed-down DVD user interface.....
Personal opinion, personal taste
Post by SpaceGirl
I really dont like the colours. ...
Can't get more personal tate than that
Post by SpaceGirl
It feels very much like a DVD menu -- one of the
free run-of-the-mill ones you get free with cheap DVD menu building
software.
Personal opinion based on personal experience. That's what everyone does, is
look for a personal frame of reference to help them react, therefore each
reaction is personal, no matter how you try and explain it in terms of
design principles.
Post by SpaceGirl
the design doesn't feel very "online" at all.
Personal opinion

etc.....

I'm not saying that you don't back up your personal opinions based on good
solid design principles, and that you don't try to reinforce your opinion
with those principles. Some very valid critique and criticism, however,
never gets beyond the personal opinion stage, however, and if you don't at
least listen to it and try and understand the artistic sentiment behind it,
you may miss something very valuable.

I'm saying much of artwork critique and comment begins with personal opinion
and taste. It is always a part of the critquing process. To make critiquing
about simply design priciples implies that there is a right or wrong, good
or bad, inherent in the use of those principles. The composition of an image
is either bad or good, 0 or 1. The color pallette either works, or it
doesn't, 0 or 1. The typeface is either right or wrong, 0 or 1. I don't see
it that way.
Fred Doyle
SpaceGirl
2006-03-01 15:53:08 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by SpaceGirl
[...]
Actually, no. I very deliberately avoided "taste" in my post. I agree
that everything is tainted by your own "feel" for how things look good
or bad, but at the same time your experience can also lead you to
understand that things that look "bad" may be perfect for the
particular market. I did a lot of work for a big UK car servicing
company a long time ago. Cheesy colours and big bold frankly nasty
graphics were exactly what they wanted. They WANTED to look like they
weren't some super slick multi-million ££ company because "value for
money" was what they offered. Behind the scenes everything was
super-slick. I came up with the usual pretty graphics, but they kept
turning them down. Eventually, after lots of meetings, we came up with
designs that were super simple and garish as hell! But they were a
complete success. That campaign netted millions.

Everything is subjective, but there are common themes that generate
certain reactions in your audience - and sometimes even a god-awful
design may get the exact reaction you want.
Brian Mays
2006-03-01 16:58:25 UTC
Post by SpaceGirl
at the same time your experience can also lead you to
understand that things that look "bad" may be perfect for the
particular market.
Then this, according to design principles relating to target marketing,
would be good...not bad. Right? :-)
Post by SpaceGirl
Everything is subjective, but there are common themes that generate
certain reactions in your audience - and sometimes even a god-awful
design may get the exact reaction you want.
Is it an awful design if it was effective? Isn't that what design
ultimately is...not making pretty pictures, but making money for our
clients?
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-02 12:59:26 UTC
Post by SpaceGirl
Everything is subjective, but there are common themes that generate
certain reactions in your audience - and sometimes even a god-awful
design may get the exact reaction you want.
Is it an awful design if it was effective? Isn't that what design
ultimately is...not making pretty pictures, but making money for our
clients?
That would be marketing, not design.

Think of design like this...you draw a picture of a person...and you
fuck the proportions all up and one arm winds up looking longer than
the other, the subject has two left feet (literarily), the shading
isn't natural/life like, the colors are not natural/life like. NOW
from a SUBJECTIVE standpoint you could say that, that's the style
they're using, but from an OBJECTIVE standpoint their work is simply
crap. Often times if someone attempts to argue the point with me I'll
simply say, "Okay, if you can make an identical piece where the
proportions, colors, lighting, etc are TRULY life like and natural
I'll believe that your intentions were genuine...but if you can't I'm
gonna stick my original point of view in that you're just a bad artist
who couldn't design his way out of a wet paper sack and you're trying
to chalk it up to style as a pathetic cop-out."

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Brian Mays
2006-03-06 18:57:45 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Think of design like this...you draw a picture of a person...and you
fuck the proportions all up and one arm winds up looking longer than
the other, the subject has two left feet (literarily), the shading
isn't natural/life like, the colors are not natural/life like.
That's not design...that's either illustration or art :-)

Designers don't need to know how to draw.
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-07 05:02:38 UTC
Post by Brian Mays
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Think of design like this...you draw a picture of a person...and you
fuck the proportions all up and one arm winds up looking longer than
the other, the subject has two left feet (literarily), the shading
isn't natural/life like, the colors are not natural/life like.
That's not design...that's either illustration or art :-)
Designers don't need to know how to draw.
See, it's the whole ANALOGY bit that you seemed to have just up and
fucked your grandmother over...*shakes head*...do ya, do ya need a
Kleenex, Brian?

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Brian Mays
2006-03-07 16:05:34 UTC
See, it's the whole ANALOGY bit ...
AAaaand so ends my social experiment. :-)
Connie Pierce
2006-03-07 17:20:47 UTC
Post by Brian Mays
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Think of design like this...you draw a picture of a person...and you
fuck the proportions all up and one arm winds up looking longer than
the other, the subject has two left feet (literarily), the shading
isn't natural/life like, the colors are not natural/life like.
That's not design...that's either illustration or art :-)
No, I get the analogy (though I think you could have come up with an
easier one to picture, Hat). Let's use the type of site that SpaceGirl
was talking about a few minutes ago (this thread?) of the site for the
car seller. The client loved it (and was responsible for the look - by
turning down more attractive options that she offered them). And
SUBJECTIVELY it was the style they were going for (which has also been
what Hat said about the client sites *he's* done). But from an
OBJECTIVE POV, even SpaceGirl said the site looked cheesy. Crappy.
(Again, SG, it's what *you* said and that it was what *they* wanted -
I'm in *no* way critiquing you - I couldn't critique a 5 yo's site -
mine sucks!).

When anyone's blasting Hat's client's sites (and I did it too, in the
beginning, mainly cause he was being such a jerk to another poster
here), we have no real right to do that. We've *ALL* been in the
unfortunate position of having to do crap work for a client who
*wanted* the crap work. We have no idea what Hat offered those clients.
At least I don't. And as for Hat's personal site, it's *his* site. He's
said time and again that he did it for *himself*. It's *his*
expression.

And no, I wouldn't hire Hat to do *my* site - hhis style is not *my*
style. I like minimalism and his isn't in that vein. Too, I'd feel too
much like a failure having someone else do it for me (though Lord knows
I've really thought about it) ( :. The sites here closest to my
preferred style would be that of SpaceGirl's and FSDstudio. Their sites
are minimalistic (again, which I LOVE) and FSD manages to put uber info
into a "simple" site (*NOT* kissing ass here, just stating MHO). I even
love her clients' sites (that she gave us links to). They're not so
much minimalistic, but very artistic and very creative. She doesn't put
extra extraneous shit on them. Each piece/element has a purpose. No
unnecessary glitz. She lets the sites stand on their own power -
without gimmicks.

If I had a nickel for every time that a client wanted to (a wee bit of
homage to one of Hat's sayings) "ass rape some default Photoshop
filters" AKA drop shadow, glow effects, etc, I'd be the richest woman
in the world. I have had clients who disregarded good taste and went
for the most heinous, tacky, cheesy aspects one could imagine. The
military/US gov would truly take the prize, though. They *still* go for
the horrible chrome and glow looks.

Back when I claimed the US gov/military as my biggest customers (no
longer, thank-you-very-much), they would reject "corporate" tasteful
designs for the shlocky chrome/metal/glow looks (I had to design while
listening to 70s music LOL). I *hated* that style, and worked hard to
convince them to go more mininalist and tasteful - but they refused.
They *wanted* the chrome. I don't even include that era of work in my
portfolio. I still hate it and wouldn't go back.
Post by Brian Mays
Designers don't need to know how to draw.
They should, though. At least in the old days, they did (the good
ones). How else could you put together a mockup/comp? We couldn't move
about blocks and clip-art on a computer screen back then. We were jacks
of all trades back then. We had to at least be able to sketch a
concept. We still should be able to. Just MHO.

Again, not kissing ass or taking sides. ( :
--
C Pierce
Creative Veritas
850 532 0835
Brian Mays
2006-03-07 17:26:51 UTC
Post by Connie Pierce
Post by Brian Mays
Designers don't need to know how to draw.
They should, though. At least in the old days, they did (the good
ones). How else could you put together a mockup/comp? We couldn't move
about blocks and clip-art on a computer screen back then. We were jacks
of all trades back then. We had to at least be able to sketch a
concept. We still should be able to. Just MHO.
I've always maintained that great designers would be great designers
with or without computers. Totally agree with you that it definitely
helps if they draw. At the university we teach students thumbnailing,
and I had one of them a few weeks ago say, "I should have spent more
time thumbnailing...when I got to Photoshop it fell apart." He said
everything I was planning to get into in a much more powerful way.

Thanks for the feedback, Connie!

Brian Mays
Connie Pierce
2006-03-08 00:32:46 UTC
Post by Brian Mays
I've always maintained that great designers would be great designers
with or without computers. Totally agree with you that it definitely
helps if they draw. At the university we teach students thumbnailing,
and I had one of them a few weeks ago say, "I should have spent more
time thumbnailing...when I got to Photoshop it fell apart." He said
everything I was planning to get into in a much more powerful way.
Thanks for the feedback, Connie!
Brian Mays
I have to say - back in the "old days" *every* GD I knew was an amazing
artist - in fact one fellow could create an *extremely* realistic
motorcycle in about an hour flat (obviously by hand with a set of
markers). He was not an artist per se - he did mainly design work and
only illustrated for mocks and comps.
850 532 0835
Brian Mays

Brian Mays
2006-03-01 17:06:37 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Some very valid critique and criticism, however,
never gets beyond the personal opinion stage
I've taught a number of computer graphics software classes and many
times my opinions are the basis for the beginning of my critiques. One
of the biggest things I push my students to do is to do more than what
the average user can do. After I tell them, "In my opinion I don't feel
like you've challenged yourself enough" we get into what I'd like to see
above and beyond that.
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-02 12:45:53 UTC
On 1 Mar 2006 06:22:26 -0800, "SpaceGirl"
Post by SpaceGirl
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
...what does personal taste have to do with design experience, you
fucking fruitloop, prepub. Personal taste is what philistine
fucktards like you use to grade the artistic merit of one's
efforts...where as REAL ARTISTS can judge a piece on VERY SPECIFIC
design points ranging from color scheme to form, flow, function,
navigation, content, etc, etc, etc.
Harsh!
Well, that's my style...I have no qualms about holding back online, in
a pure text environment such as this you'd have to be pretty weak in
character to actually let something bother you...especially from
someone you don't really know. That's why it's VERY rare that I ever
verbally attack someone in the real world...because it has an absolute
effect on the person that can't just be passed off as "words on a
screen".
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Now then, Downs, if you wanna try and actually CRITIQUE my work, by
I do think his site is okay for a specific market. Kiddies or some sort
of dumbed-down DVD user interface.
I wonder if that's how you would have described it if it didn't have
those video preview thumbnails. In some respects I guess choosing to
use them in a way automatically stereotyped my site...but DVD
interfaces are often highly artistic, very professional looking and,
well, it IS a production company after all...so I think I'll take that
as a compliment, rather than as a critique.
Post by SpaceGirl
I really dont like the colours.
COLOR...singular, it's a monochromatic color scheme. I like blue and
on average around 75% of people on the planet tend to list blue as
their favorite color, so it's a good choice. Would the site be better
with a more advanced color scheme...I think so and probably at some
point I'll tweak it a bit, but when I make a site I like to let it sit
for at least a year before I start making any sort of radical new
design changes. You wanna see what it used to look like?

Post by SpaceGirl
They look too vivid on my LCD display,
...usually I would think vivid was a good thing...maybe not so much if
there was a high degree of text content, but there isn't.
Post by SpaceGirl
and clash on my CRT display.
...uh, what do they clash with?
Post by SpaceGirl
None of it looks very sharp.
What resolution are you using? It'll look best/sharpest on a CRT
display at 1024x768.
Post by SpaceGirl
It feels very much like a DVD menu -- one of the
free run-of-the-mill ones you get free with cheap DVD menu building
software.
Never used such software, but like I told that other guy, what you
feel is subjective, it's not an objective critique. You could say
it's like a DVD menu as far as the video previews...but ultimately
that's about as far as you could take it, unless you can list another
SPECIFIC aspect as to why it would be reminiscent of that particular
design...which for the most part isn't all that particular outside of
the thumbnail video previews and Easter egg esque animation points
(like the frog).
Post by SpaceGirl
I'm unsure what market or user group your site is targeted
at,
None, actually. I made a site that *I* wanted, just like when I make
a site for a client I make it the way that *THEY* want it. As it says
in my .sig, I'm an artist, not a professional. So I don't really put
a lot of thought into so much corporate nonsense like demographics,
test groups, ratings, etc. I truly believe that most of that is
entirely bullshit and I could think of more than a dozen examples just
off the top of my head to confirm it.
Post by SpaceGirl
as the design doesn't feel very "online" at all. As a menu design,
it's not very usable - the navigation sucks, but it does feel very
"solid".
Again, subjective. When you say "the navigation sucks" what are you
referring to EXACTLY? Do you mean like on sub sections where there is
only one arrow that takes you forward which doesn't give the user the
ability to transverse the site dynamically? Cause I did that on
purpose. I wanted people to actually look THROUGH my site, and given
that purpose the navigation is 90% effective...to be 100% effective
I'd have to do away with the nav section list altogether.
Post by SpaceGirl
A lot of fancy designs feel like they make keel over and die
under the weight of scripts they run, and yours doesn't.
Mostly due to using Flash and extremely advanced image encoding
methodology. JavaScript animation, like the kind I use on this site:
http://www.backwater-productions.net/wwcc/histology-1/

Is much more "clunky" as JavaScript uses like 50% more processing
power and as such is much more likely to cause problems on the client
side, especially if they're using outdated box brand peecee's that
they bought 8 years ago at Staples.
Post by SpaceGirl
Maybe it'd work for a kiddies site (the presumed target?).
Mostly it's just eye candy. Part of the reason I went with a
monochromatic color scheme was so that you would focus more on the
individual pieces, like the videos and the graphic design examples.
Post by SpaceGirl
The composition is very basic, but again that's not always a problem.
I try not to over do it if at all possible.
Post by SpaceGirl
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
all means, have at it, but don't fucking kid yourself into thinking
your current reaching little attempts at online verbal retribution are
anything other than confused, poser based, shit smears from someone
who probably couldn't tell the difference between a tetradic and a
split complimentary color scheme.
Clearly you dont understand them either or you'd realise there is no
real "difference",<snip>
You know if you take a class on film studies one of the very first
things you're taught (assuming you're taking it from someone who isn't
an idiot) is that there *IS* a real difference. They make a big point
of accurately describing the difference between a philistine who just
says a movie "sucks" or is "great" to a person who can accurately and
precisely judge a work on its technical merits and flaws...whether
they be in the editing process, the filming process, the acting, the
directing, etc, etc.

Now that's not to say that your work isn't going to be judged
subjectively, it is...most people in the world aren't even remotely
close to being able to truly dissect a design and look at its
fundamental pieces and analyze their use. This is where popular
culture plays an important part, like carrying on about how Chronicles
of Narnia was a "religious" movie...even though it didn't really have
fuck all to do with religion no matter how you wanna try and
subjectify it.

However, this is a DESIGN froup and as such when I come here and
present work, I'm not looking for SUBJECTIVE views, I'm looking for
OBJECTIVE views. If I wanted the former I could pretty much choose
any other froup on teh grid.

Subjectivity isn't all that important to me though. I believe that no
matter what you do there will always be someone who loves it, someone
who hates it and someone who just doesn't give a fuck. I cater to the
people who loves my work...which are the people who love what I love.
I have no reason nor want to try and make something I don't like that
other people will...unless they're paying me and even then sometimes I
won't.

Like this for example:
http://www.tripoweraussies.com/

Personally, I REALLY don't like that design. I mean, there is not a
single aspect of it that I enjoy subjectively...but, it's what the
customer wanted and he paid me so that's what he got. More and more
though I try and stay true to "my" art, meaning that if my clients
subjective views aren't in line with my own, I tend to not take the
job. For one because I won't enjoy it, also because I don't think it
accurately reflects who I am as an artist and because I won't enjoy
making it, it won't turn out as well as it could if it was being done
by another artist who was more in line with the clients subjective
views.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Fred Doyle
2006-03-02 14:29:55 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Well, that's my style...I have no qualms about holding back online, in
a pure text environment such as this you'd have to be pretty weak in
character to actually let something bother you...especially from
someone you don't really know.
Now there's an interesting philosophy. It is alright to hurt the weak
because they are weak. I suspect you'll try and tell me that you 're doing
them a favor in some way, too.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
That's why it's VERY rare that I ever
verbally attack someone in the real world...because it has an absolute
effect on the person that can't just be passed off as "words on a
screen".
It can and is passed off in exactly the same manner, i.e. "it is just words
in the air" or more commonly, "Sticks and stones will break my bones but
words will never hurt me."

There is another possibility here. Just a thought, as I don't know you, but
it takes a ton more courage to treat someone face to face the way you treat
people online.
Fred Doyle
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-02 15:20:14 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Well, that's my style...I have no qualms about holding back online, in
a pure text environment such as this you'd have to be pretty weak in
character to actually let something bother you...especially from
someone you don't really know.
Now there's an interesting philosophy. It is alright to hurt the weak
because they are weak. I suspect you'll try and tell me that you 're doing
them a favor in some way, too.
It's not about hurting the weak, it's about NOT being your babysitter.
Online you need to take responsibility FOR YOURSELF. No one around
here is gonna coddle you, hold your hand and wipe your ass for you.
If you get all fucked up and start confusing the Inet for RL that's
entirely on you, your weak because of it, but that ain't my
problem...it's yours. Own the fuck up and be the captain of your own
ship.
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
That's why it's VERY rare that I ever
verbally attack someone in the real world...because it has an absolute
effect on the person that can't just be passed off as "words on a
screen".
It can and is passed off in exactly the same manner, i.e. "it is just words
in the air" or more commonly, "Sticks and stones will break my bones but
words will never hurt me."
No. In a pure text environment like this you lose upwards of 90% of
communication...because of that gross ambiguity you can NEVER know
with absolute certainty what is real and what is not. What a person
is saying and what they meaning. Since you can't know for certain you
need to approach the Inet from a very distanced perspective and above
all you need to realize that in an environment in which you are
getting so little of the intended meaning or message you are EXTREMELY
likely to project what you WANT to read/see, rather than what's
actually there. That's the secret in how I'm so efficient in my
ability to attack people online btw. More often than not, the more
you posts you make to me, the more you give away about
yourself...especially your weaknesses.
Post by Fred Doyle
There is another possibility here. Just a thought, as I don't know you, but
it takes a ton more courage to treat someone face to face the way you treat
people online.
I said it's rare that I do it, not that I don't. I can assure you
though, those who I've done it to in RL have been formidable in human
terms, both in intelligence and in physical stature. It takes no
courage to destroy a human I can assure you, Little One.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Fred Doyle
2006-03-02 15:52:45 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
It's not about hurting the weak, it's about NOT being your babysitter.
Now that's a different reasoning than your original statment. I have no
problem with that. I firmly believe, just like you shouldn't t go into strip
clubs if nudity offends you, don't go to an alt news group if text based
insults bother you. Know where you are going and what the environment is
like and don't expect that environment should change just because you don't
like it.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
If you get all fucked up and start confusing the Inet for RL
Sorry, real life is all there is. There is no unreal life. It is about how
you choose to spend your time and use your own real life.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
No. In a pure text environment like this you lose upwards of 90% of
communication...
You lose part of the message in any communications process. You have a
message, you encode the message according the the rules for encoding that
you have and know, you transmit the message through some medium and some
channel, static and interference may change the message somewhat, and the
receiver decodes it according to the rules for decoding that they have,
which may or may not compy with how the message was encoded.. There is
always a loss of signal or message, it is a matter of how much you lose.
Sometimes less, sometimes more. With some media less, with some more. This
is basic communications theory. Because you feel you "lose" upwards of 90%
of the communication, how does that excuse doing something that may be
hurtful?
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
because of that gross ambiguity you can NEVER know
with absolute certainty what is real and what is not.
The same is true of any other communications medium. I can't know if Regis
Philbin is really a cute, cuddly but obnoxious guy, or is that a role he
plays on TV. When the NY Times publishes a story, I can't know for certain
if it is true or not, or is a reporter making it up again.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Since you can't know for certain you
need to approach the Inet from a very distanced perspective
You can't know for certain what was meant in any communication, even face to
face, regardless of the medium.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
above
all you need to realize that in an environment in which you are
getting so little of the intended meaning or message
But according to your theory, you can't know what you are getting. You may
be getting the message exactly as it was inteded as well.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
you are EXTREMELY
likely to project what you WANT to read/see, rather than what's
actually there.
You are just as likely, and always do, project yourself into any
communications medium when decoding the message you have received. That is
part of the process. How much projection is based on how "warm or cool" the
medium is, according to Marshall McLuhan. I think that separating out Usenet
as a medium this way is just a way people excuse their own stupid and
boorish behavior, and as usual in the current moral climate, try to blame
the victim for their behavior.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
That's the secret in how I'm so efficient in my
ability to attack people online btw.
You mean like that "raining stupid" comment? LOL

Fred Doyle
Larry Linson
2006-03-02 16:24:36 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Because you feel you "lose" upwards of 90%
of the communication, how does that excuse doing something that may be
hurtful?
What someone chooses to feel as a result of reading a message in a newsgroup
is not the author's responsibility.
Post by Fred Doyle
I think that separating out Usenet
as a medium this way is just a way people excuse their own stupid and
boorish behavior, and as usual in the current moral climate, try to blame
the victim for their behavior.
There is no "victim" in this medium ... opinions can't harm the reader,
UNLESS the reader chooses to allow it.

If you think reading a message somehow turns you magically into a victim,
just because the author wishes it, then you are very silly.
Fred Doyle
2006-03-02 16:50:08 UTC
Post by Larry Linson
What someone chooses to feel as a result of reading a message in a newsgroup
is not the author's responsibility.
There is no "victim" in this medium ... opinions can't harm the reader,
UNLESS the reader chooses to allow it.
We've long disagreed on those statements, and never will agree on them.
We've been there before. I've always thought your theories in this area were
silly and groundless.
Fred Doyle
Larry Linson
2006-03-02 18:02:07 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Larry Linson
What someone chooses to feel as a result of reading a message in a newsgroup
is not the author's responsibility.
There is no "victim" in this medium ... opinions can't harm the reader,
UNLESS the reader chooses to allow it.
We've long disagreed on those statements, and never will agree on them.
We've been there before. I've always thought your theories in this area were
silly and groundless.
So silly words can harm you?

hahahaha.
Connie Pierce
2006-03-02 18:27:30 UTC
Post by Larry Linson
So silly words can harm you?
hahahaha.
OUCH!!
Damnit, Larry!
850 532 0835
Fred Doyle
2006-03-02 21:21:13 UTC
Post by Larry Linson
So silly words can harm you?
Words can cause harm. I don't know about the silly ones, specifically.
Fred Doyle
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-02 23:20:07 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Larry Linson
So silly words can harm you?
Words can cause harm. I don't know about the silly ones, specifically.
It actually depends on the person, for example words can't cause me
harm...mostly cause I'm a Netter...but for most people they can...you
just have to find the right ones. `, )

If you're a Netter...you can do this:

I Matthew Moulton do hereby admit to being a donkey raping, dolphin
molesting shit eater who loves fondle the gentiles of old wrinkly men
wearing shit filled Depends.

*shrugs*

He who can attack others is strong, he who can attack himself is all
powerful.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Fred Doyle
2006-03-03 01:00:46 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
I Matthew Moulton do hereby admit to being a donkey raping, dolphin
molesting shit eater who loves fondle the gentiles of old wrinkly men
wearing shit filled Depends.
BFD. Some people can do that because they know much better than that about
themselves, and have had support systems their whole lives that have told
them differently. It is never a problem to say or hear that if that is your
state of mind. I suspect this is where you are.

Some people have heard that about themselves incessantly throughout their
life. Some people believe it about themselves. That's a bigger problem.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
He who can attack others is strong, he who can attack himself is all
powerful.
Meaningless platitude.
Fred Doyle
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-03 01:15:43 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
I Matthew Moulton do hereby admit to being a donkey raping, dolphin
molesting shit eater who loves fondle the gentiles of old wrinkly men
wearing shit filled Depends.
BFD. Some people can do that because they know much better than that about
themselves, and have had support systems their whole lives that have told
them differently. It is never a problem to say or hear that if that is your
state of mind. I suspect this is where you are.
My state of mind is like this:
I'm a semi-immortal demon, you're human...you're going to be dead in
less than a 100 years and NO ONE on this filth ridden little planet is
EVER going to remember you for anything...least of all your small
minded, fuckwitted little NONpinions about me and my existence.

I suppose you could say I can't be harmed by words because I consider
myself to be more than human. It's sort of like if you're a white
supremacist the words of some "nigger" aren't going to bother you
much.
Post by Fred Doyle
Some people have heard that about themselves incessantly throughout their
life. Some people believe it about themselves. That's a bigger problem.
Well, that's another lil quirk about me, I don't technically "believe"
in anything...not with any sort of concrete conviction anyway.
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
He who can attack others is strong, he who can attack himself is all
powerful.
Meaningless platitude.
Did it bother you? `, )

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Fred Doyle
2006-03-03 01:26:08 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Well, that's another lil quirk about me, I don't technically "believe"
in anything...not with any sort of concrete conviction anyway.
Sure you do. Even if you're not self-aware enough to realize what you
believe.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
He who can attack others is strong, he who can attack himself is all
powerful.
Meaningless platitude.
Did it bother you? `, )
No. I called it as I saw it. Did that bother you?
Fred Doyle
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-03 07:07:54 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Well, that's another lil quirk about me, I don't technically "believe"
in anything...not with any sort of concrete conviction anyway.
Sure you do. Even if you're not self-aware enough to realize what you
believe.
I have beliefs, but those beliefs are variable depending on variable
circumstances. I also tend to be unpredictable. Even if in some
respects I don't believe in killing humans for any old thing certainly
doesn't mean that I wouldn't ever do it. For example if I walked into
a bank and some guy tried to rob the place at gun point and I was busy
and kinda annoyed...I'd probably kill him without a second thought.
*shrugs*
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
He who can attack others is strong, he who can attack himself is all
powerful.
Meaningless platitude.
Did it bother you? `, )
No. I called it as I saw it. Did that bother you?
Would you like it to? I mean, would it give your ego some kind of
like sugar high? ^_^

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Fred Doyle
2006-03-03 11:20:14 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by Fred Doyle
No. I called it as I saw it. Did that bother you?
Would you like it to?
What, again? I already have plenty of times. Well, ok, if it will make you
happy
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
I mean, would it give your ego some kind of
like sugar high? ^_^
No. It is more like the pleausre you get from pissing off a really bratty
little kid.
Fred Doyle
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-06 10:01:14 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by Fred Doyle
No. I called it as I saw it. Did that bother you?
Would you like it to?
What, again?
Do you always respond to a question with a question?
Post by Fred Doyle
I already have plenty of times.
...you already have what?
Post by Fred Doyle
Well, ok, if it will make you happy
...well, ok, if what will make me happy?
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
I mean, would it give your ego some kind of
like sugar high? ^_^
No. It is more like the pleausre you get from pissing off a really bratty
little kid.
So because of your...deficiencies, you go around attempting to torment
children in a failing effort to try and feel better about
yourself...interesting. Let me know how that's workin out for ya,
Freddy.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Larry Linson
2006-03-06 18:19:46 UTC
So because of my...deficiencies, I go around attempting to torment
children in a failing effort to try and feel better about
myself.
That's sad.
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-07 05:01:27 UTC
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:19:46 -0800, Larry Linson
Tha<COCKSLAP>
You have to admire the devotion of lil Larry, my lil Usenet pet
follows me all over the place, replying to posts that aren't even
remotely directed towards him. Poor lil fool, he's a grade A Hatter
addict, can't even get through 2 posts without tugging on my pant leg
for a lil attention.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Larry Linson
2006-03-07 17:15:31 UTC
I am a poor lil fool
That's too bad.
Fred Doyle
2006-03-07 22:47:56 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
So because of your...deficiencies, you go around attempting to torment
children in a failing effort to try and feel better about
yourself
No, no. Remedial reading isn't working out for you, eh? Re-read the thread.
I asked if I was bothering you and said that was, "LIKE the pleausre you get
from pissing off a really bratty little kid." (emphasis added to help Hatter
with comprehension).

That's what is called a simile, a word comparison that uses "like" or "as"
to make the comparison. You can use them no charge in your Word Art if you
like. And no, Hatter, that's not a simile just because it has the word
"like" in it. (added for Hatter comprehension).

So, no, I'm not pissing off little kids. I'm bothering you, by your own
admission. Thanks.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Let me know how that's workin out for ya,
Really, really well. Thanks for asking.
Fred Doyle
Drew
2006-03-03 19:53:38 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
I Matthew Moulton do hereby admit to being a donkey raping, dolphin
molesting shit eater who loves fondle the gentiles of old wrinkly men
wearing shit filled Depends.
Good Lord! He's fondling the Gentiles!

Run!

NotMe
2006-03-04 02:17:30 UTC
"Drew"

At least he's getting a head. (G,D&R)
Drew
2006-03-04 02:44:59 UTC
Post by NotMe
At least he's getting a head. (G,D&R)
Well, I seriously doubt he's getting head.

Larry Linson
2006-03-03 04:31:09 UTC
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Larry Linson
So silly words can harm you?
Words can cause harm.
I don't think you can harm me with your words, and I am not a superman.
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-03 07:08:54 UTC
On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:31:09 -0800, Larry Linson
Post by Larry Linson
Post by Fred Doyle
Post by Larry Linson
So silly words can harm you?
Words can cause harm.
I don't think you can harm me with your words, and I am not a superman.
Hey Larry, if words don't bother you...why are you always snipping and
running from them like they're your worst nightmare? I'm just
sayin...yer posts have got plot holes the size of fuckin Tripoli.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Larry Linson
2006-03-03 10:27:02 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
why are
Your messages are just not making it through. Care to try again?
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-06 10:01:14 UTC
On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 02:27:02 -0800, Larry Linson
Post by Larry Linson
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
why are
Your messages are just not making it through.
Hey Larry, I think you tried this trick already. It pretty much
failed miserably the last time and the only one who thought it was
funny was your mom...granted she gave her lil retard a pat on the head
and made you some chocolate milk, but honestly, even your mom isn't
gonna go for it a second time.
Post by Larry Linson
Care to try again?
When you do, hey guess what? Yeah, it's not gonna get any less lame
and stupid from the last time you tried to foolishly run away from all
those horrible words that make you cwy.

Cover your eyes now Larry and scream, "LA LA LA LA LA LA-I CAN'T HEAR
YOU-LA LA LA LA LA LA" and it'll be sure to make dat mean 'ol Mad
Hatter go away...just like it works on all those SCAWY monsters hiding
underneath your wittle bed. ^_^

...hrmmm...is it wrong to torment children like Larry? I mean, do you
think one would be sent to hell for something like that?

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Davide Montellanico
2006-03-06 10:53:18 UTC
Post by Larry Linson
Care to try again?
When you do, hey guess what? Yeah, it's not gonna get any less lame
and stupid from the last time you tried to foolishly run away from all
those horrible words that make you cwy.
Cover your eyes now Larry and scream, "LA LA LA LA LA LA-I CAN'T HEAR
YOU-LA LA LA LA LA LA" and it'll be sure to make dat mean 'ol Mad
Hatter go away...just like it works on all those SCAWY monsters hiding
underneath your wittle bed. ^_^
...hrmmm...is it wrong to torment children like Larry? I mean, do you
think one would be sent to hell for something like that?
Go to a nursery! this is not your place.
gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Larry Linson
2006-03-06 18:20:35 UTC
Post by Larry Linson
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
why are
Your messages are just not making it through.
Hey Larry, I think
I don't believe you.
Fred Doyle
2006-03-03 11:24:56 UTC
Post by Larry Linson
I don't think you can harm me with your words, and I am not a superman.
That is exactly the quality of thinking and logic that is beind your entire
theory.

It might make you Superman. It also might just make you different
Fred Doyle
Larry Linson
2006-03-02 15:52:27 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
you are EXTREMELY
likely to project what you WANT to read/see, rather than what's
actually there. That's the secret in how I'm so efficient in my
ability to attack people online
Little news for you... someone projecting what they want to see in a message
is not an attack by you. You are attempting to take credit for people being
stupid and upsetting themselves.

You have no ability to "attack people online".

Learn your limitations in this environment.
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-02 16:25:24 UTC
On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 07:52:27 -0800, Larry Linson
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
you are EXTREMELY
likely to project what you WANT to read/see, rather than what's
actually there. That's the secret in how I'm so efficient in my
ability to attack people online
Little ne<COCKSLAP>
Larry, I don't bother to read your dribbling tripe, so you might as
well save yourself the effort...unless your therapist thinks it's
helpful to your lil...problem, then go right on ahead, let it all out.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Larry Linson
2006-03-02 18:03:54 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Larry, I
Your message did not come through... want to try it again?
Connie Pierce
2006-03-02 18:31:17 UTC
Post by Larry Linson
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Larry, I
Your message did not come through... want to try it again?
I really *hate* to tell you this but, Hatter's <Cock slaps> are
infinitely more funny (if not juvenile) than your cutting off his post.

While I think Hatter is a dick of immense proportions, he *is* funny
(usually - unless you or someone you like happens to be the one in his
sights), intelligent, and clever.

Now, if he could only use his powers for good instead of evil . . .
850 532 0835
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-02 23:07:44 UTC
On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 12:31:17 -0600, Connie Pierce
Post by Connie Pierce
Post by Larry Linson
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Larry, I
Your message did not come through... want to try it again?
I really *hate* to tell you this but, Hatter's <Cock slaps> are
infinitely more funny (if not juvenile) than your cutting off his post.
While I think Hatter is a dick of immense proportions, he *is* funny
(usually - unless you or someone you like happens to be the one in his
sights), intelligent, and clever.
Now, if he could only use his powers for good instead of evil . . .
How does that Eminem song go:
http://www.backwater-productions.net/_sounds/Eminem_-_Say_What_You_Say.mp3

Sometimes I like to think of that as my theme song. ^_^

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Larry Linson
2006-03-03 05:07:01 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Sometimes I
Your messages are still not making it.
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-03 07:10:18 UTC
On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:07:01 -0800, Larry Linson
Post by Larry Linson
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Sometimes I
Your messages are still not making it.
My words hurt Larry so much he has to try and run and hide from
them...it's very cute.

*pats Larry on the head*

I think I'll keep him as my ADG pet.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Larry Linson
2006-03-03 10:24:21 UTC
My
Your what...
Connie Pierce
2006-03-05 18:07:32 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by Larry Linson
Your messages are still not making it.
My words hurt Larry so much he has to try and run and hide from
them...it's very cute.
*pats Larry on the head*
I think I'll keep him as my ADG pet.
Really?
*shrugs*
Sometimes, I think the time spent housebreaking them just isn't worth
it . . . do you, by any chance, see any *real* potential with Larry?

Just make sure he has all his shots. And be sure to keep a little spray
bottle on hand to keep him from humping your leg. (;
850 532 0835
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-06 10:01:16 UTC
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 12:07:32 -0600, Connie Pierce
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by Larry Linson
Your messages are still not making it.
My words hurt Larry so much he has to try and run and hide from
them...it's very cute.
*pats Larry on the head*
I think I'll keep him as my ADG pet.
Really?
*shrugs*
Sometimes, I think the time spent housebreaking them just isn't worth
it . . . do you, by any chance, see any *real* potential with Larry?
Not really, usually when they start snipping and running by the 5th
post it means that they're already played out. Can't teach an old
Stupid new tricks and all like that you know. Larry is pretty much a
one trick Stupid and, well, I don't think anyone is all that impressed
with him...well maybe his mom. I'm sure every time he wets his pullup
and goes running to mommy about how he "won the Usenet" she butters
the lil doorknob all the fuck up and down with praise and fixes him a
super special glass of chocolate milk before his bedtime.
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Just make sure he has all his shots. And be sure to keep a little spray
bottle on hand to keep him from humping your leg. (;
I was thinking more along the lines of an air taser.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Connie Pierce
2006-03-06 14:19:52 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
I think I'll keep him as my ADG pet.
Really?
*shrugs*
Sometimes, I think the time spent housebreaking them just isn't worth
it . . . do you, by any chance, see any *real* potential with Larry?
Not really, usually when they start snipping and running by the 5th
post it means that they're already played out. Can't teach an old
Stupid new tricks and all like that you know. Larry is pretty much a
one trick Stupid and, well, I don't think anyone is all that impressed
with him...well maybe his mom. I'm sure every time he wets his pullup
and goes running to mommy about how he "won the Usenet" she butters
the lil doorknob all the fuck up and down with praise and fixes him a
super special glass of chocolate milk before his bedtime.
C'mon, don't you feel at least a *tiny* bit guilty?
*waggles finger at Hatter*

You know, even Stupids have souls! Well, some do, anyway . . .
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Just make sure he has all his shots. And be sure to keep a little spray
bottle on hand to keep him from humping your leg. (;
I was thinking more along the lines of an air taser.
Really? How do you deal with the yelping and crying? I would think that
would get a bit tiresome . . . but then, I guess that's why they make
shotguns! ( :
(Ever think of pulling an "Ol Yeller" on Lar?)

BTW, you're killing me over here - I know I could google this, but I'd
rather hear it from the hoss's mouth . . . what's the diff between a
"Netter," a "Webbie" and an "RL?"

You know, at the risk of becoming a Hatter vic, you can be a real
asshole, but in the same way that Denis Leary is. AKA a *REALLY* funny
asshole. Only diff is that DL "cusses" more . . . Ever think of taking
up stand-up? I hate to admit this, but I'd buy a ticket.
850 532 0835
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-07 00:37:12 UTC
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:19:52 -0600, Connie Pierce
Post by Connie Pierce
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Not really, usually when they start snipping and running by the 5th
post it means that they're already played out. Can't teach an old
Stupid new tricks and all like that you know. Larry is pretty much a
one trick Stupid and, well, I don't think anyone is all that impressed
with him...well maybe his mom. I'm sure every time he wets his pullup
and goes running to mommy about how he "won the Usenet" she butters
the lil doorknob all the fuck up and down with praise and fixes him a
super special glass of chocolate milk before his bedtime.
C'mon, don't you feel at least a *tiny* bit guilty?
*waggles finger at Hatter*
You know, even Stupids have souls! Well, some do, anyway . . .
No one on Usenet has a soul, ya check it at the door or ya lose it
permanently.
Post by Connie Pierce
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
Post by Connie Pierce
Just make sure he has all his shots. And be sure to keep a little spray
bottle on hand to keep him from humping your leg. (;
I was thinking more along the lines of an air taser.
Really? How do you deal with the yelping and crying? I would think that
would get a bit tiresome . . . but then, I guess that's why they make
(Ever think of pulling an "Ol Yeller" on Lar?)
I don't think I'd want to waste a bullet on Larry, I think one of
those drowning tanks that they use at animal shelters would be
better...or one of those tanks that removes all the oxygen and
suffocates the animal to death.
Post by Connie Pierce
BTW, you're killing me over here - I know I could google this, but I'd
rather hear it from the hoss's mouth . . . what's the diff between a
"Netter," a "Webbie" and an "RL?"
An RL is someone who only functions in the real world, their
understanding of the net is fleeting at best. They're like your
grandmother talking about how she heard about those sex addicts on the
"interweb".

A Webbie is one step up, someone who more often than not thinks
they're really connected when at most their comprehension of the net
doesn't extend much farther than like amazon, google, neopets, blogger
boards and the like.

A Netter is someone who is actively involved in net.society, most
often in Usenet communities. Usenet itself actually predates the
world wide web by more than a decade, which is why Netters, especially
old school Netters tend to be much more sophisticated.
Post by Connie Pierce
You know, at the risk of becoming a Hatter vic, you can be a real
asshole, but in the same way that Denis Leary is. AKA a *REALLY* funny
asshole. Only diff is that DL "cusses" more . . .
I think the primary difference between me and DL is that for him it's
more of a job than a way of life. I doubt he's much like he is on
stage when he's at home with his wife and kids or out and about in
public. For me my...art, if you will, is very much about who I am, so
I don't have much in the way of reservation about using it. It's nice
when people are like you or Nogana Naishi (a guy who frequents the
drum corp and anime communities) in that they recognize the art behind
the words, but in most cases it can take most people YEARS before they
finally "get it" and learn to lighten the fuck up and roll with the
punches. The point is never really to try and hurt anybody...in fact
most of my posts really don't have much to do with the person I'm
replying to at all, they're more of just a springboard or topic
starter for MY art. That's why it's always so funny with Stupids like
Larry, because they actually believe that they've involved in some
sort of rivalry or competition when really, my primary readership
couldn't give fuck all if I was replying to a person or a poorly
programmed Usenet bot so long as I made the response worth reading.
Post by Connie Pierce
Ever think of taking
up stand-up? I hate to admit this, but I'd buy a ticket.
I've got some projects in the works like that. Some people have been
really pushing me to make some kind of like compilation of Usenet
posts and then try to publish them as a book. I've also got a movie
script idea that I'm working on called "Flame War" which is basically
about a flame war happening on Usenet. About half the movie is people
sitting at their computers typing with voice overs (kind of their
inner voice). And the other half of the movie is kind of about the
personal lives of the people posting and how what's going on in the
real world has an effect on their posting stance. The point is to
kind of show that the flame war is really just in everyone's head and
how the perception of that flame war is never really the same from
person to person.

Before I can really start working on that though I need to save up
enough money to buy a Canon XL1 or 2...I suppose I could go to the
various studios and try to get some sort of backing...but I'm thinkin
that would probably result in losing a lot of creative control over
it. Like when my bank kept wanting to give me a business loan, which
I almost did until I read the fine print about how if the business
ever takes off suddenly they own like half of it.

I've learned to be pretty careful, there is never any shortage of
people who will attempt to exploit your abilities if you give them the
chance.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Larry Linson
2006-03-07 03:44:55 UTC
When will you start?
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-07 04:58:35 UTC
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 19:44:55 -0800, Larry Linson
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
so long as I made the response worth reading.
When w<COCKSLAP>
If you want to talk to me you get the fuck down on all fours and
SQUEAL for me, you grubby lil porker.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Larry Linson
2006-03-07 05:04:21 UTC
I want to get the fuck down on all fours and
SQUEAL like a grubby lil porker.
That message came through just fine.
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-07 05:08:36 UTC
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 21:04:21 -0800, Larry Linson
SQUEAL!
Yeah, that's right Doofus, you get the fuck down on all fours and
squeal for my attention.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
Larry Linson
2006-03-07 17:13:41 UTC
Yeah
Yeah, what?
Larry Linson
2006-03-06 18:16:26 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
I don't think
Obviously.
Larry Linson
2006-03-03 05:05:57 UTC
Post by Connie Pierce
<Cock slaps> are
infinitely more funny
Your fantasies are showing.
Larry Linson
2006-03-02 15:42:31 UTC
Well,
Nothing came through... want to try again?
Brian Mays
2006-03-01 16:53:42 UTC
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
...what does personal taste have to do with design experience
Simplest example...a potential client doesn't like the work you
show...no reason, they simply don't like it...and they pay someone else
to do a job.

You still have to appeal to a client's personal taste. If they don't
like it, even if you force it on them, their heart won't be in it when
they distribute that brochure, show that web site, or display that logo.

Taste always matters.

Brian
Onideus Mad Hatter
2006-03-02 13:01:14 UTC
Post by Brian Mays
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
...what does personal taste have to do with design experience
Simplest example...a potential client doesn't like the work you
show...no reason, they simply don't like it...and they pay someone else
to do a job.
You still have to appeal to a client's personal taste. If they don't
like it, even if you force it on them, their heart won't be in it when
they distribute that brochure, show that web site, or display that logo.
Taste always matters.
I never said it didn't, however this is a DESIGN froup, not a froup
about how you felt about the color of your fruit loops. You can get
that sort of subjectivity in ANY froup.

gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )
unknown
2006-03-07 14:18:57 UTC
Post by Brian Mays
Post by Onideus Mad Hatter
...what does personal taste have to do with design experience
Simplest example...a potential client doesn't like the work you
show...no reason, they simply don't like it...and they pay someone else
to do a job.
Ok, but that's taste in the /clients/ mind, not 'taste' in the designers.
There is never "no reason", just an inability (and occasional
unwillingness) to express themselves clearly. Any person who is actually
making business decisions based purely on whim probably isn't to be trusted
anyway.
Post by Brian Mays
You still have to appeal to a client's personal taste. If they don't
like it, even if you force it on them, their heart won't be in it when
they distribute that brochure, show that web site, or display that logo.
and if they force their taste on the viewers, who is to say they'll respond
to it positively?

What do you do in the common situation where the CEO's taste is different
to the Marketing Managers, whose is different to the Head of Sales? Design
has a /job/ to do regardless of the personal 'tastes' of a few members of
the management team.
Post by Brian Mays
Taste always matters.
Agreed, but talk about aesthetics, meaning creation, stylistic genres and
referentiality, cultural cues, abstract values, craftsmanship,
communication, fashion trends, motiviation and intentionality, emotional
resonance, but leave the taste of things to the food critics.
--
Davémon
http://www.nightsoil.co.uk/